Thursday, March 19, 2009

The NDP and the CBC.

Over here, I note that the NDP is currently the only federal party doing anything to try to help out the CBC. (The BQ are excused because of the whole separatism thing -- it'd be surprising if they did support the CBC.) No, it's not much, but it is at least something.

Liberals and Conservatives are apparently busy with... well, something clearly much more important. For the Conservatives, it seems to be saving private broadcasters. What I find interesting about the above press release, incidentally, is how it copies some of the Cons' language used to endorse giving money to the private broadcasters, including the need to preserve local news gathering.

What are the Liberals busy with? Apparently, risking serious injury patting themselves on the back for a poll. Three points about the latter, incidentally. First, it's all a game. The only poll that really matters is the election poll. Unless we're going to an election soon, these lovely polling results don't mean squat. I think most of us realize it's a game and polls are just a way of playing. I don't object to that (I've done it on occasion) but don't start taking this seriously, folks.

Second, Ignatieff has never faced the electorate as a party leader (he hasn't even faced a vote in the party yet). Harper blew it the first time he tried -- he had a majority within his hands, and it slipped away. Same goes for Dion -- he couldn't sell good policy, let alone bad policy. Same goes for Layton -- he encountered the same problem as Harper, getting overconfident and saying things he couldn't back up. I could get going, but I think the point is clear. There's a hell of a learning curve involved, and the LPC is in serious enough trouble financially that it can't afford -- literally as well as figuratively -- an epic screw up. Nothing about Ignatieff seems particularly exceptional, so the claim that he can keep it together during a campaign, and hold on to numbers even close to where he's polling, remains to be demonstrated.

Third, I'm convinced that the voting public are idiots. I would've been surprised if the NDP started pulling big numbers; that they're not confirms my low opinion of the intelligence of most Canadians. (No, I didn't say that voting NDP is a sign of intelligence; I said voting Liberal or Conservative, as if there's a significant difference these days, is a sign of low intelligence.) Democracy only works in two situations. First, when the citizenry are broadly well-educated, intelligent, and practically rational. Then, you could probably pull off a Rousseau-styled direct democracy. Second, when the citizenry are idiots, and the government has pretty limited authority. We're not in the first situation, and we're also not in the second. So, I consider this more evidence in support of contempt.

God, I'm cheerful, aren't I?

No comments: