Tuesday, November 11, 2008

To those opposing the CUPE 3903 strike

This should tell you something about your position.

According to my sources, at the Pond Road line today (Nov 11th, ironically enough) around 4:15 pm, a white male middle-aged driver attempted to ram the line with an American brand white utility van, plates 534 8VM. The driver threatened to bring a gun next time he comes to the lines.

That anyone thinks this, a threat to use lethal force, is an appropriate response to a legal strike is beyond contempt. If you oppose the strike, I suggest you think very carefully about why some people who agree with you consider this acceptable, civil behaviour.

If anyone can identify the driver of the van, please let me know in the comments, and I will pass the information along to police.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regardless of whether you support the strike or not, this is obviously NOT acceptable behaviour. Call the police, report the time/date of the incident as well as the license plate number and have your witnesses ready to give statements. This is a matter for them, not for a blogger.

And please, don't be ridiculous by painting everyone who opposes this strike with the same brush.

May I suggest that you NOT publish license plate information (or, should someone actually comment with the suspected ID of the driver, names and other information) on an open website as such information can be grossly misused.

ADHR said...

Police have already been called; a report has been filed. Did you think picket captains wouldn't be on something so obvious?

Who was painting? Read it again: If you oppose the strike, I suggest you think very carefully about why some people who agree with you consider this acceptable, civil behaviour. I was pretty clearly suggesting that, when you're on the same side as extremists like this, it's wise to re-evaluate your position. If you find yourself disturbed, then that suggests that I have a point, doesn't it?

License plates are public information, chuckles. I could fill this blog with vehicle and plate information, if I chose to, and there'd be no basis for complaint. I passed on a report that I received from sources within the union. If someone can prove it false, then I'll note that it was false. That's how responsible commentary works: write with the best sources available, but revise when needed.

Any more detailed identification I would of course pass on to police as that gets into the realm of publishing something that's more restricted.