Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Oliver Stone's "World Trade Center"

Anyone heard of this movie yet? I have very mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I don't buy the "it's too early" line. Dealing with tragedy (or victory, for that matter) in popular media has a long, long history, dating back at least to the Greeks. Movies are one of the most prevalent popular media of our time, so it's not surprising that this kind of thing has surfaced. So, to that extent, I'm fine with it.

On the other hand, American movies tend towards hagiography rather than biography (see, for example, The Aviator). And I'm worried that, instead of a realistic portrayal of ordinary people facing a horrible, but necessary, task -- one that will ultimately kill them (as Ladder 49 tried, but ultimately failed, to do) -- we'll get superheroes who go nobly to death without a second thought (or, perhaps, after pausing a few moments to reverentially gaze upon Old Glory with a tear in the eye). If I want to see superheroes, I'll go to Superman.

So far, I haven't heard one way or the other what it's like, so I'm trying to reserve judgement. But I have deep misgivings.

No comments: