Tuesday, July 11, 2006

"Daughter of Regals" -- missing a line!

I have an odd problem. I have a paperback copy of Stephen R. Donaldson's "Daughter of Regals" short story collection. On p. 355, near the end of "Ser Visal's Tale", at the top of the page, it reads:
He asked for the names of any men of station who were
not hold half the proper admonitions. Templeman Knarll's
crime of witchcraft strictly, according to the will of Heaven,
for the safety of our own souls. Faugh! It is well that the
Temple is served by abler men than I. My fat head will
not hold half the proper admonitions. Templeman Knarll's
memory, however, did not fail. ...
Clearly, the second line has been overwritten by the sixth line -- a simple printer's error. Problem is, the book is old enough that I can't return it for another (correctly-printed) copy, and, as copyright is still valid, there's no complete text online. Which means I have no idea what the line is supposed to be.

Fine, it's not a big deal, but it frustrates me.

No comments: