Friday, June 30, 2006

Can US neocons say anything wrong?

This I find rather horrifying. On national TV news, a "commentator" is interviewed with a journalist who lets the former call for not just the execution, but the horrible, painful, (literally) Nazi-style execution of the editor of a prominent US newspaper. Why are people like this given any legitimacy? It simply boggles my mind. It might be claimed that this is a "joke" -- indeed, Ann Coulter often claims that her repugnant pronouncements are "jokes" -- but I really don't see how this is a joke. I mean, I like a good dead baby joke as much as the next guy, but those are deliberately over-the-top and absurd. Beyond that, what's the possible source of the humour? There's no word-play involved, no sudden ironic twist. Simply a call for appalling violence.

On the other hand, if this person is serious, then it seems they should be arrested for uttering a death threat. Shouldn't they?

No comments: